For any kind of entertainer, the most important thing, aside from the talent, is finding the right places where to perform music. This is actually a common dilemma among musicians and singers alike. Some do not know where they can perform and showcase their talent. This article will basically guide you on how you can find places to perform music.
If you are still a relative neophyte, finding a place may seem too hard. However, as you gain experience and gather more contacts, things will be a lot easier. The first thing you need to do is to assess your own expertise and genre. If you want to perform in a bar, for instance, you need to make sure that your genre fits the bar where you are planning to perform.
Here are some practical tips intended to help the budding musicians and singers out there.
- Do the legwork. You can scout for possible places where you can perform through your own observation. You can also search through the Internet. If you want, you can come up with your list on which of the bars or venues you know your musical talent can fit it.
- In this industry, you are your own salesperson. It is like selling a product to a potential buyer. You need to prove them that you are worth their time and money. Thus, make sure you always do your best if you are given the chance to prove your worth.
- Learn how to blow your horn. This is important so you can get noticed.
- Forget about your shyness. Some talented musicians and singers end up having rare performances since they are not confident about themselves. And apparently, lack of confidence often leads to a poor performance. If you are too shy to be on the stage, then forget about your dream of improving and sharing your talent.
- Be professional enough whenever you are given the opportunity. For instance, if you are invited to sing in an event, you need to be on time and be pleasant with the guests. If you are snob and late, then you cannot expect to get more gigs in the future. You will only get a negative impression. And they will never get to appreciate whatever talent you may have. Remember that you are still starting, and you do not have something yet to brag about.
- Always be ready with a professional demo tape. You will never know when a talent scout would approach you. Some of the popular musicians of today started in performing in small venues. Bear in mind that great things start as small things.
- Learn how you can widen your network. This will help you get in touch in the most number of people possible. If there are a lot of people who know you, it is possible also that they will recommend you with their respective networks whenever they need a musical performance from someone like you. Network is everything is this kind of field.
- See if you can work with an agent. An agent can help you have bookings in the future. However, make sure the agent has enough contacts and knowledge in this kind of industry. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time, effort and talent.
- Try to be persistent and resilient as possible. Along the way, you may feel very frustrated. But those challenges are all part of the success you are bound to. If you will stick to your dream, you will surely get what you want in due time. Aside from having the chance to share your musical prowess to other people, you can also earn a lot from this.